The healthcare, automotive, and consumer markets demand increasingly complex products with ever-tighter tolerances, which is why GW Plastics has taken injection molding to a higher level. GW Plastics Scientific Molding (GW/SM™) reduces defect occurrence to ensure the highest integrity of product quality consistently over the life of the project, regardless of molding machine, material, or manufacturing location.
Utilizing GW/SM™ techniques, we develop process characterizations that will ensure high-quality, repeatable molded parts despite normal (expected) variation in materials and processing equipment. All molds, whether new or transfer, are put through our rigorous statistical qualification process so that, regardless of manufacturing location or machine, the same critical molding parameters will be achieved. GW Plastics works to continuously refine GW/SM™ processes and integrate solutions that reflect our lean manufacturing commitment, improve efficiency, and reduce waste.
- GW/SM™ techniques ensure high quality, repeatable production
- Consistently mold high-quality parts despite variation in molding materials and processing equipment
- Proven systematic methodology involves rigorous statistical qualifications
- Development of robust processes regardless of manufacturing location
- Can be used on all molds (new and transfer)
- Mold-specific process development (rather than machine-specific)
- Improved time-to-market and component quality
Advanced Molding Technologies
At GW Plastics, Advanced Molding Technologies help us maximize manufacturing efficiencies for our customers and stay on the cutting edge of technology and innovation on a global scale. We have invested in advanced robotic-assisted molding technologies including thermoplastic and Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) molding, multi-shot and multi-material molding, automated insert molding, thin wall molding, precision gear molding, and micro-molding to reduce costs and improve quality.
Multi-shot and multi-material molding allows for complex part production in one molding operation for improved product design, performance, and cost. With GW Plastics’ advanced molding and tooling capabilities, a soft thermoplastic or LSR and a rigid thermoplastics are molded together to create a more functional product without the additional cost or production complexity of assembly and other post-molding operations. The advantages of this process include:
- Cost effective assemblies due to elimination of secondary operations
- Improved quality from less part handling and possible of contamination
- Reduced validation cost by simplifying the molding process flow
- Increased design flexibility through enhanced material combinations
For applications where multi-shot methods are not practical based on part quantities or geometries, insert molding and over-molding can be used to achieve the same result. Our use of automation for insert feeding and cutting-edge silicone flashless molding techniques help to guarantee efficient, high-quality production.
Micro-molding of LSR is accomplished by using specially designed injection machines and state-of-the-art pumping technology designed for the silicone micro-molding industry to create very precise, small parts with high shot-to-shot repeatability.