GW Silicones is a trusted supplier to the world’s most successful healthcare, automotive, and filtration companies due in large part to our use of innovative materials. Since the 1960’s, silicone rubber has found widespread use in medical, automotive, aerospace, electrical, construction, and industrial applications.
Among the most tested biomaterials, silicones are increasingly desired based on their unique combination of biocompatibility and performance properties:
- Chemically inert, odorless, tasteless, and stainless
- Bacterial resistant and easy to clean and sterilize
- Biocompatible and short/long-term implantable
- Lubricious for less invasive biological applications
- Temperature flexible – 180°F to 600°F
- Fatigue and compression set resistant
- Chemical resistant
- Elongatable – 100 – 900%
- Dielectric with superior insulating characteristics
Liquid Silicone Rubber (LSR) can be used to create complex molded parts with finer detail and tighter tolerances than are often possible with other materials. When molded onto thermoplastic substrates, the resulting multi-material performance options are numerous.
LSR Material Innovations
GW Silicones partners with the industry’s leading silicone suppliers to stay on the cutting edge of material technology and ensure that all of our materials are tested and comply with the highest quality standards. Frequently, our close supplier relationships lead to the joint development and trial of new materials such as:
- Self-adhesive liquid silicone materials utilized in multi-shot or multi-material applications
- Antimicrobial silicones and antimicrobial additives that offer enhanced protection bacterial growth
- Fluoro-silicone materials for enhanced chemical resistance
- Optical-grade silicones that offer high temperature resistance along with optical clarity (ideal for LED and other lighting applications)
- Self-lubricating silicones (using an additive that releases after molding) to assist in assembly and application usage
Take a Closer Look at Optically Clear Silicone
An already emerging technology in the consumer marketplace, manufacturing with optical grade silicone is starting to awaken the medical device industry to new possibilities. Still in its infancy within the healthcare market, the benefits of optically clear silicones offer some intriguing opportunities, and it is gaining interest for applications such as wearable technologies, endoscopes, optical sensors and instruments, medical lasers, diagnostics, light guides, and other medical device-related applications.
Learn more about why you should consider this material for your next medical device